I hope that everyone had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are behind us, it's time to get busy making quilts! :) The response I've received from those wanting to donate quilts has been AMAZING, but we still need a LOT more! This blog post will give you all the details about these special quilts.
- The quilts should be approximately 60" x 72" since they are going to adults.
- The quilts need to be pieced, quilted, and bound. Not tied and not rag quilts. ***(See more details at the bottom)
- If you would like to do a quilt for a particular first responder, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will give you a name of a man or woman who responded that day. If you get a name from me, please either embroider or applique their name on their quilt. If you don't want to embroider or applique a name, then just send in a quilt without getting a name from me - preferably one that is specifically for a man or woman.
- If you would like to include a letter or note with your quilt, I will attach it to your quilt so the recipient will get it, too.
- If you would like to make a quilt with novelty fabric (i.e., fireman, police, etc.) I will make sure it gets to the appropriate person.
There are some first responders who don't want their names given out (I TOTALLY understand!) because people in the media are hounding them! I will make sure they are also given a beautiful quilt. There were approximately 200 men and women who were involved that day, so we need a lot of quilts!
My husband and I are EMTs and my heart is aching knowing a little of what these men and women are going through, and what they'll have to deal with for the rest of their lives. Thank you so much for being willing to share your time and talents with those who put their lives on the line every day they go to work!
PLEASE HELP ME SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THESE SPECIAL QUILTS ON YOUR BLOG, FACEBOOK, ETC.!!! THANK YOU!!! :)
*** If you would like to send in a quilt for something other than this school shooting, PLEASE DO SO!!! I am now collecting donated quilts to be distributed to people who are affected by future natural disasters and human-caused tragedies. These quilts can be any size quilt, and can be quilted, tied or a rag quilt. PLEASE HAVE THEM COMPLETED! Unfortunately, because we are going to be donating so many more quilts, I don't have the time or resources to complete unfinished quilts that are sent in.
*** If you would like to send in a small, tied quilt for a child at a neighboring school to Sandy Hook Elementary, Michelle at https://securityblankets.wordpress.com/ is accepting them now!